Friday, January 30, 2009

sometimes the cart runs over the horse

So guys, I am beat. This week has been quite the drain. I think the mix of stormy weather, freezing cold, and lack of sleep has me finally crying uncle. I am exhausted. What I would love, what I would shave your cat for, would be a few days of just soup and blankets. Something decadent as hell, like napping at 2PM while the snow falls outside, you know what I mean, sleeping just for the sport of it.

Usually at 2pm I am sitting at my desk fervently responding to emails or balancing a copywriter and coffee mug on my priorities list. I throw myself into graphic design projects with the ferver of a drugged-up petstore puppy, but In the back of my mind the farm exhales and inhales. It's a living part of my day job even though it's miles away. Notes to pick up scratch grains and hay line the same post-it notes as projects and doctor's appointments. I sometimes feel like the two lives i share, office and farm, will have a cage fight to the death. Only problem is, I'm the cage.

Really though, all is well. I may sound tired (i am, very much so) but I'd rather be a tired homesteader in Vermont than a well-rested graphic designer in Philadelphia.* Complaining now and then is just a small selfish luxury I can afford. So I'm shutting up now, putting my head down into the wind, and biting my lip. After all, tomorrow is Friday, and this weekend's most exciting plans include laundromats and grocery stores. And that's fine by me.

*Nothing against Philly designers, of course

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully you will get some much needed rest this weekend - take the time to relax & nap - your body & soul need it too!
Wendy A

January 30, 2009 at 7:15 AM  
Blogger DivaHick said...

If I could, I would send you brownies... cause it sounds like you could use them...

January 30, 2009 at 8:44 AM  
Blogger Ava Apple said...

I hope that your next post will till us that you did indeed take that 2pm nap. You have our collective permission, so just do it!
Ava

January 30, 2009 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Leiflet said...

It's funny-- i remember even in Knoxville thinking, Jeez this girl goes from one thing to another! Usually i am the person who's accused of being an overachiever, but you totally trumped me. You'd leave in a cloud of fur and good intentions, and i just sat there with Stu, feeling lonely with my GRE prep test.

I would send you sugar cookies. Hmmm...

January 30, 2009 at 10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

light a fire, read a good book, take that afternoon nap . . . . but don't forget to blog :)

-J

January 30, 2009 at 11:46 AM  
Anonymous googler said...

It seems different countries, different cultures, we really can decide things in the same understanding of the difference!
nike shoes

February 28, 2009 at 6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home