Sunday, January 25, 2009

showdown!

Written July 2007. Back in Idaho I had a very mean, loud, possibly mentally unstable chicken named Ann Coulter. She hated Annie, always had. One day the foes met. I came across this old post and thought you guys might like it.

It finally happened. After months of taunting, yelling, and staring each other down – Ann Coulter and Annie had their big showdown. Ever since the first time Annie chased Ann Coulter, Coulter seemed to take it extremely personal. From that point on when Annie was stuck behind a screen door or a pane of glass Ann Coulter would make a point to taunt Annie by standing right in her view. Staring at Annie’s dark brown eyes with her beady little black ones. Annie wouldn’t pant. Just stare back. I don’t know what dogs and chickens say to each other, but you could tell it wasn’t kind. Not with these two anyway.

This morning I was walking the dogs back into the house from their morning walk and I didn’t see the little flock behind a rose bush. Annie and Jazz did. And in a Siberian husky second (much faster than a human second) They had bolted at the four big chickens scratching behind the bush. Veronica, Mindy, and Mary Todd Lincoln flew away from the dogs in a frenzy. But Ann Coulter, wings and talons out, flew right at Annie. The world fell into slow motion. Ann had chosen to either protect her flock or just hated everything Annie chooses to be. Jazz watched in awe. If you don’t spend a lot of time around Siberians then you might not have been able to recognize the absolute bliss that overcame Annie’s face. Teeth open wide in a giant smile she caught Ann Coulter is mid air, like she was a tennis ball, and held on. Ann Coulter screamed. I yelled at Annie, who dropped the chicken and had a mouthful of feathers to figure out. She was smacking her mouth like it was full of peanut butter, feathers in her teeth and on the grass. Coulter scuttled off miraculously in tact, albeit missing a large chunk of feather, and Annie seemed content beyond measure.

It was a very dramatic morning.

8 Comments:

Blogger Melonie said...

Oh my - I can just picture it! I'm surprised she dropped Ann, frankly. lol So did they have more staredowns after that? Or did Ann Coulter decide to "give" in the future?

January 25, 2009 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger Leiflet said...

If only that would happen to the REAL Ann Coulter....

January 26, 2009 at 4:26 PM  
Anonymous Ellen said...

not a comment on the post...but your book finally came from Amazon and I am so excited to read it!

January 26, 2009 at 8:02 PM  
Anonymous wildallium said...

pg. 33: I thought I was the only one that had to scrape ice from the INSIDE of my truck windshield! Let's please come up with a very witty trick to defeat this paramount of winter problems! It drives me (excusing pun) insane.

January 26, 2009 at 8:27 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

mel, she never bothered annie again.

January 27, 2009 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Ava Apple said...

Wow..what a great story! I have been flirting with the idea of chickens and have been worried about what my two chihuahuas would do. Now I'm not as concerned! Thank you for putting that particular anxiety to rest!
Ava
BTW...I love, love, love your blog and book. Only wish that I had found you sooner!

January 28, 2009 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger The Cog said...

..this little story made my day!

January 28, 2009 at 12:45 PM  
Anonymous alerts said...

You these things, I have read twice, for me, this is a relatively rare phenomenon!
handmade jewelry

February 28, 2009 at 6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home