Saturday, January 31, 2009

rumors and prayers

A photo from September, which I am sharing only because it's proof positive that once upon a time it was summer here. Man, do I miss those days. I adore winter, really, but I miss going out into the pasture with the fiddle, a blanket, a book, and the flock. Marvin never minded getting close to the violin, nosing it out of his way if it happened to be on a tasty patch. (Sheep are fairly inconsiderate when it comes to our ridiculous notions of property.)

Listen, sheep and fiddles (in any proximity) are a beautiful thing and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Don't mess with that sort, they are probably the same people who run to their cars when it's drizzling as if a nice shower was acid and not a nice thing to take a jaunt in. Also Travis Gray's song "It's not Love" just came on and it was so good it made me grab my fiddle, turn the radio all the hell up, and play along like Travis owed me something. Spontaneous 7AM radio jam sessions people, I friggin' love Saturday mornings. Now let's bow our heads and pray for summer. I don't care who or what you pray to. You want to place a photo of Elvis above the mantel with a candle and a dollar bill, fine by me. Let's just get on this, because I want summer on this farm to be more than rumors and prayers. I'm proving anxious.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer and Steve said...

Amen to that! We are with you!

January 31, 2009 at 9:43 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

There's been something in the air these past days, and I can't place my finger on what exactly it is, that seems to have everyone's mind on the coming summer. I almost feel sorry for the doomed snow. Almost.

January 31, 2009 at 9:46 AM  
Anonymous Tami said...

Jenna, nobody knows that better then us here in Syracuse, NY. Our seasonal average is about 116.9 inches and as of last night we've gotten over 121 inches (it's snowing as we 'speak') and we still have a couple of months to go! Since we had an early start this year (measurable snow on 10/1) I'm praying for an early spring...think I have a chance??

January 31, 2009 at 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there any specific posting where I can read about your transition to farm owner? My husband and I have been thinking of the same idea ("in 10 years we'd love to...") but I am inspired that you just got up and did it.

Thanks!
Laura

January 31, 2009 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

laura,

i'm not a farm owner, i am a farm caretaker. I can't afford land or a mortgage - maybe someday if i'm lucky i can buy a farm. but i don't think there is any specific post about it. there is an article i wrote for mother earth news called "Why Homestead" which you can get to if you click on the mother earth news button on the blog, it tells you why I did it. does that help?

January 31, 2009 at 11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, thank you!

January 31, 2009 at 12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you - even though we live in a border spot where we get as much ice as snow, I am officially ready for Spring. Hubby is even more so since he works outside in the elements every day & this January has been the coldest in the past decade! We are ready...so ready!!
Wendy A
in PA

February 1, 2009 at 8:30 AM  
Anonymous sticker said...

luosha32
miaozhen47
zhonggu64
xingchang68
kuman37

February 28, 2009 at 6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home