Saturday, January 17, 2009

land of lincoln

So this is how the world works. You put something out there in the ether, something as random as a photo of a car, and somehow it finds it's way back to you. I post that long-ago picture from a side street in Jim Thorpe, and a few days later a reader sends a long a new state bumper shot on her own Mini. Thank you Barb.

You know, I always liked those cars, even wanted one of my own. But they were never practical for two big dogs and an antiquing addiction (can't fit an atomic oak 1953 coffee table back there now can you?) and now with the farm life I think my Mini days are behind me. But that's fine. I can put a great stereo in a beat up pickup. I'll figure it out. I'll be the girl in the old truck with wooden pannels and a few rams in the back. They'll have their eyes fixed on the cars behind us. The rams wil be staring down the folks in the car behind us who are confused why OK Computer is blaring so loud, and want to know how the Border Collie seems to know how to keep time with her paw on the outside of the passenger side door 9because I raised her, that's why). The only bumper sticker - the words, FLOCK ON*. Which is exactly the point of this whole thing - food, animals, and music. That is the game folks. That is the game. Keep those three things at the center, and laugh a lot, and we'll all be fine.

*in helvetica, of course

4 Comments:

Anonymous the french mule rider said...

Why not looking at one of the austin made in the 60's called country .... that is a way to drive in style like with a truck from the 50's ... I am almost ready to give up my no car rule for an almost like in pristine condition

January 17, 2009 at 10:46 AM  
OpenID goddesscardea said...

Jenna, where can I find your email address? I would like to send you my pic of your book.

January 18, 2009 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

jenna@itsafarwalk.com

please send something under 300k, if you can. thanks!

January 18, 2009 at 11:48 AM  
OpenID fourcrickets said...

hi jenna. if you ever need or want a short respite from the vermont winter, try a northeast georgia winter. specifically, try sautee nacoochee. you would dig it and it would dig you. the lifestyle, music, vibe, coffee. snca.org is a decent enough first glimpse, i reckon. we really like you're blog and i'm going to get your book for my wife jane. see you 'round the bend.

January 19, 2009 at 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home