Thursday, January 8, 2009

idaho, this morning

Moose used to be a normal part of my life. When I lived in the inland north west, they were as common as barn cats. This photo was sent in by Janeen, from Idaho. Like her, I used to see these guys all over the yard and the town of Sandpoint. They were everywhere. I remember the AP picking up a story about Sandpoint's moose problem last winter. So many were wandering into town that became a civil problem. The cops were scared someone would get stomped to death for getting one angry. No one got stomped, and no one looked twice when a lanky winter cow and her calf were walking down the sidewalk by the post office and Monarch Mountain coffee either. People just hoped they weren't taking up any good parking spots.

Idaho has been on my mind a lot lately. It's still hard for me to believe that this time last year I wasn't waking up in this time zone. I would've been at the Idaho farmhouse, looking outside my window at Leopold. Leo was a gangly moose calf who had a crush on my station wagon. Every morning he'd be there. Just standing in the driveway near the car, the piles from the snow plows all around him like giant white tunnels. When I eventually went outside and told him to scat he'd lope off into the woods like a doe. I was always shocked at his grace. Then I'd make my way into town to the library to get online and figure out this cross-country adventure to Vermont. I think by this point I knew I was coming here? I remember sitting in Eich's (a local pub who's garlic fries I miss so much my ribs crack at the thought of them) with my friend Marjan and telling her I was heading to VT. I didn't know for certain, but had a hunch. One of those hunches you can't shake, even after a few Guinesses. And that was before I even flew out for the interview. Turned out of be right.

You know, I never did find out what Leo was really after, or what his car infatuation meant. But this morning, I kind of miss him. Him and many others. I miss the gang from the office, and how well we all got along. I miss Di and Bruce and hanging out at Floating Leaf Farm. I miss the friends I made in town, the Tuesday night music jam, and the fact that I used to live in a place where a ski resort, beach, lakehouse, home depot, and farm supply store were all within a five mile drive from my farmhouse. Oh well.

And hey, don't get me wrong. I adore Vermont. I think the two of us may be seeing each other for quite some time, and who knows, maybe we'll even get hitched. I know I probably won't be leaving the East ever again, it's just when you leave a place it gnaws into you in such an endearing way. All the colors in your memories are more saturated, the people more attractive, the times more pristine. Which is how I feel about Sandpoint this morning while I look outside my window at the rain and snow. There aren't any moose in my driveway right now. Actualy, I don't think you'll find that many in this state. Or maybe like the people, New England moose keep more to themselves.

also:

5 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

I saw my first moose ever while on the Trail (Appalachian Trail) up in NH. It was so huge but graceful, just walking along and looking back at me a time or two while I fumbled for my camera.

Farther along someone had designed a happy face out of the moose pellets. A lovely sight!

January 8, 2009 at 9:48 AM  
Blogger CatHerder said...

omg how incredibly cute. I LOVE MOOSE. We were up in the lake george area a few years ago, and it was POURING rain and foggy..when omg, what do i see..A MOOSE..so i scream omg stop a moose (nearly killing us all)...needless to say hubby and kids could NOT stop laughing..it was a huge moose on wheels at a taxidermy shop.....i stopped and took a pic anyway

January 8, 2009 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Idaho misses you a lot Jenna. You are the reason it was so great. Just as Vermont is...because everywhere you go you bring levity to a place. That's what Leo was after. Miss you - Idaho Erin

January 8, 2009 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Just found your blog through Green as a Thistle and am reading it from the start. Well done! And cute moose!

January 8, 2009 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger Shopping Blog said...

There is not going to links of london uk happen such a difficulty that you can't find cheap links of london bracelet an identical topaz jewelry according to your costume. cheap links of london charms It is monitored that besides the reality that it's a links of london watch uk great present to gift, it's also preferred by many people just for the links of london ring uk sake of an inclusion to their own jewelry collection. However, links of london necklaces uk if you'd really like to satisfy your partner and guarantee that she adores your present on this special date.

August 16, 2010 at 9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home