Monday, January 19, 2009

burning off the fog

I found this photo from September 2006. It was taken at the end of an early morning hike in the Smokies, back when I lived in Tennessee. In the picture all the smoke is burning off from the sunrise, and light is coming back into the trail, making things clear again. Earlier that morning there was so much fog that when you took a few steps down the path, whatever you left behind you vanished within moments. You could tie a bright red bandana to a tree and then watch it disappear as you backed away from it. All you could really understand was what was right around you. Everything from the past fell apart, and you couldn't see a thing ahead. I suppose that's how it always is though. If you only knew how often I thought of Tennessee... That state changed my whole life.

I used to have another blog, it was called Dogcoffin. I named it after a small wooden box with a latch I found on the side of the road when I first moved to the South. It was such an odd box—too small for a chest and too big to be a breadbox, so I called it a dog coffin. I still have it, my foot is on it right now since it currently resides under my kitchen table. Like me this random object has traveled all over, never sure what it was or where it was going. So I thought that was a good name for a blog about a person in the same condition.

Now I rarely update it. It was kept from 2005 on. Everything about Tennessee, Knoxville, the move out to Idaho, and starting Cold Antler Farm was recorded on that other blog. When the book was coming out I made it private since it was far more personal than this one is. But I think I'll be posting pictures and stories from it here from time to time. I'll let you know when the proper dates are, like this one. I just think a lot of the things you read from Scratch started on that blog and you'd be interested to see photos of those first chickens in the northwest or hikes in the Smokies that gave me this homesteading infection in the first place. Let me know if posting older content bothers you, since it wouldn't be "new" technically. And new updates are really what blogs should be about, no?

10 Comments:

Blogger Melonie said...

I'd love to read the older content. I think it's always interesting to read the posts from when various things were "incubating" in a person's life. People aren't just about what's going on TODAY - they are very much made up of what's happened in the past. :-)

January 20, 2009 at 7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Post on, girl, post on!!!

January 20, 2009 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Mama Pea said...

I'd look forward to the "older" posts. No matter the date, your posts are always special. And, in looking back on our past, we often are better able to understand our now.

January 20, 2009 at 10:44 AM  
Blogger Mama Pea said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 20, 2009 at 10:45 AM  
Blogger Dessa Wolf said...

I just recently found your blog and plan to get a hold of a copy of your book as soon as I can. You are living my dream...bet you didn't realize that as you are trudging out into the cold each morning to feed and take care of your animals, did ya, LOL. Nice to "meet" you and I would also love to be able to read the older blog.

January 20, 2009 at 12:44 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Hi Jenna. I look forward to reading about how you arrived here. You have a way of writing that's personal and, well, fun!

January 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM  
Blogger The Old Man and His Dog said...

That blog is how I first found you. Thank God for it. I felt honored when you granted me permission to still view it. It has a lot of good stuff you really should share.

I'm getting the feeling that you are longing for TN again. I know how you feel. Mine was only a vacation there, but we hope to someday say we live there amongst some of the kindest, friendliest people on this planet. Looks like it's going to be quite a few years til we get there though as we still can't sell that confounded house.

January 20, 2009 at 5:09 PM  
Anonymous dogear6 said...

I would also enjoy seeing the older content and learning more about you and how you came to where your life is now.

January 21, 2009 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Speaktrue said...

old is good

January 21, 2009 at 12:09 PM  
Blogger Shopping Blog said...

There is not going to links of london uk happen such a difficulty that you can't find cheap links of london bracelet an identical topaz jewelry according to your costume. cheap links of london charms It is monitored that besides the reality that it's a links of london watch uk great present to gift, it's also preferred by many people just for the links of london ring uk sake of an inclusion to their own jewelry collection. However, links of london necklaces uk if you'd really like to satisfy your partner and guarantee that she adores your present on this special date.

August 16, 2010 at 9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home