Tuesday, January 6, 2009

hey, what are you doing friday?

Have any plans for Friday night? If you don't, and live somewhere around my stomping grounds here in southwestern Vermont, let's remedy that right now. If you can hear WEQX on your car radio, you can bundle up and come to the bookstore and give me a high five. On the evening of the 9th I'll be at the Northshire Bookstore in Manchester for my first ever "author event." I think this means I read something from the book, and then talk a bit, and then anwser questions. I'm not sure what order to do this, but I plan on being pretty damn casual about it. I refuse to get nervous talking to people about chickens and snap peas. This isn't exactly the Gaza Strip.

I may bring Jazz and my fiddle with me, but that's still up in the air. Not because I don't enjoy dogs and violins (there are very few things I enjoy more) but the idea of walking into a place with a dog and a fiddle seems to demand a certain amount of pinash I may not be able to summon at the end of the work week. But they do sell coffee there so maybe if I caff it up I can whip something quick and dirty out of my strings... Regardless of excess mammals and music—I will certainly be there. Hopefully dressed appropriately, and will sign things people ask me to sign. Anything really. Old Civil War books, receipts from Shaws, library books. I'm crazy like that. Though I would appreciate you picking up the book. Every book someone buys in my mind is a handful of chicken feed or an inch of land.

This is what the Northshire website says about the event. I added a true extra sentence for kicks. (Good luck hunting down that dead sea scroll, birddogs.)

Share the journey of a young woman determined to learn homesteading skills in the 21st century with author Jenna Woginrich, as she presents her memoir Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life. A resident of Sandgate, Vermont, 26-year-old Jenna Woginrich is a web designer by profession. At home, however, she works conscientiously at a self-sufficient life. One time her dad walked into a friend's living room in Lehighton PA and Paul Mccartney was sitting on the couch! (For No One, by the way, happens to be her favorite Beatles song...) From the joys of harvesting freshly laid eggs from her own hens, to taking honey straight from the comb from her beehives, Woginrich has learned the pleasures of self-reliance and has become less dependent on “stuff.” Made from Scratch is the chronicle of her joyful, dramatic, and sometimes sorrowful journey of learning skills including baking, spinning, sewing, and raising chickens. A web designer at Orvis, Jenna Woginrich is also a regular contributor to The Huffington Post’s Green Page and Mother Earth News’ blog pages.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I lived closer I'd love to come but alas, Alaska to Vermont is a long treck to get a book signed.

If I mailed you my copy,along with a check for return postage, would you sign it for me?

- Joyce

Oh, are you going to wear your hat?

January 6, 2009 at 9:42 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

joyce, email me at jenna@itsafarwalk.com and i'll expain the book signing bit.

As for the hat. I think I'm obligated to? That ugly old thing has been everywhere with me, so it should at least be on a chair or something?

You know, when I told my friends in Idaho I wad going to a photoshoot for the book jacket, all they asked me was," are you going to wear your hat?" It must be making an impression.

January 6, 2009 at 9:51 PM  
Blogger Shaun said...

What if you can hear EQX but live closer to the mid-Hudson valley...

I guess I will have to settle for the 24th in Albany.

January 6, 2009 at 10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenna,

I just sent you an e-mail.

Joyce

January 6, 2009 at 10:58 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I started the book last night and I'm almost finished already. I have been on a quest for the simple life for years and I'm finally getting there. We are homesteading in the middle of a mid-sized city in Ohio. No animals, though. Anyway, great book. -Jen

January 7, 2009 at 11:23 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Paul McCartney, huh? Cool for your dad. Did you ever lay eyes on him yourself? I find celebrity spotting fun only in the sense that it's like a living "Where's Waldo?" They usually (thankfully) blend in with the rest of us. Hubby saw Henry Winkler as we were walking out of an elevator at the Davenport in Spokane last year and I still tease him that it was his imagination. (I was right there and never saw him! Even with the YELLOW suit he's said to have been wearing.)

January 7, 2009 at 1:43 PM  
Blogger The Old Man and His Dog said...

Wish I could be there. When are you coming to NYC or NJ? And the answer "Never!" is unacceptable! I after all had the advance copy of your book and as one of the first readers of it and a long time fan of you, your dogs, and your blog, I am eagerly awaiting your arrival.

January 8, 2009 at 12:02 PM  
Blogger The Old Man and His Dog said...

BTW, I was in the Orvis store over here in Manhattan on Fifth Ave the other day and thought of you. Way cool store, just a lil pricey for me right now. Nice stuff though.

January 8, 2009 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger lusummers said...

want me to come too? i could sit at the back as proud as punch stroking the book to bits, cos my copy came in the post the other day, and i simply CANNOT stop looking at it! i'm reading a chapter a night before bed and i'm loving it, then i close the book and gaze at the cover and stroke it some more...

January 8, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home