Friday, January 30, 2009

find your place on the earth and dig in.

I found this old blog post from May 2006. Now, just three short years later some of the random thoughts I was typing from an apartment in Knoxville have transpired. This was written when the idea of homesteading was just a dream. It wasn't till a waterfall, a roadtrip, and some serious dirty hands got involved that my farm became a reality. But reading this, this morning while I'm all tired and cranky, made me feel a lot better. Things happen if you let them.

I'm looking into hobby farms more and more. If it's possible, in anyway, I would want to buy a small farm in 10 years, I don't know in what state, or where exactly but i am hoping the northeast (more north than PA) because of the snow. I've been looking at Agriseek.com and finding out things. Like if you look for real estate that has land that allows horses you know your in hobby farm territory. I research chicken coops and goat pens and look at seed catologs. My dream is to have this shabby warm farmhouse and be able to work from home. Get married to some sucker with a guitar, maybe have kids, certainly raise dogs, and sit on a pair of adirondak chairs outside under the stars at night. Maybe Vermont, Maine, Minnesota... Jim Thorpe.

But if I could find a mountain area, just 5 acres or so next to gamelands... Something protected with trails for running dogs and enough space for the goats and some gardens... Oh man, and to have these dark eyed sleddogs and wake up everyday in a bed of fur and teeth and leathery paw pads...that would be heaven. That is heaven.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't just wonderful when you look back & realize dreams you had years ago are coming true? You go girl!
Wendy A

January 30, 2009 at 7:14 AM  
Blogger Mare said...

Wow...it does happen, doesn't it....

January 30, 2009 at 9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thoughts / dreams can become reality if you keep them in sight and continue moving toward them.

You may not have your own 5 acres and the guitar playing husband yet, but you're well on you way. You're accomplished so much in three short years.

- J

January 30, 2009 at 11:52 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Congratulations on achieving it. :)

January 31, 2009 at 12:29 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Thanks guys, but i'm not there yet. I rent, and renters own nothing but a lease. And the real dream is to be employed by myself through writing on a working sheep-farm. This is all uphill crawling and training wheels. But these words were kind, and thank you.

January 31, 2009 at 7:12 AM  
Anonymous googler said...

Some of the content is very worthy of my drawing, I like your information!
costume jewelry

February 28, 2009 at 6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home