Wednesday, January 14, 2009

down under

So here in Vermont we are gearing up for temperatures to drop into the negative teens. This week is going to be rough. We are in the heart of winter, and every morning when I am outside in the bitterawful, slinging hay over the sheep's fence - I can't believe, I can't fathom, that back in July I was outside in a skirt and a tank top. That I was standing in this very same spot barefoot. That I was swinging from the hammock half asleep at sundown, my fiddle's bow dangling from my wrist while the spring chickens slowly filed into their coop. It was barely 6 months ago but it feels like ages. Honestly, right now the green mountain state is another world altogether. I expect to see a mastadon pass by the dogsled any day now.

So yes, those days are over. I am now fighting ice, defrosting fonts, and trying to fatten up the livestock with some extra food to burn extra calories to keep warm. And hey, I don't want to come across as complaining (even though I kinda am). Truth is, I love this awful weather. I secretly thrive in the drama of all the season's bullshit. I love it when it's so humid I can't barely breath, and I love it when it's so cold that I can feel the air in my lungs clam up. I think all homesteaders are equally sadistic about the seasons. We take pride in taking an active role in them. They aren't scenery - they're allies. We live by them to plant, lamb, calve, hatch, harvest, and store. We dig the changes - from fireworks to fireplaces. We're quite a tribe, us hooligans in wellies.

Allison however, isn't dealing with the clam-lung. She's down in Australia, which is currently basking in high summer. She told me she found me in BUST magazine and has been following the story ever since online. She bought a copy of Scratch and has been so kind as to email a picture from the height of her garden season—which I'm certain is making every singe American reader squirm with envy... (Seriously, if you miss your garden, raise your hand...) The idea that somewhere in the world a reader is weeding (while I am praying my pipes don't explode) is a delightful truth about this round joint we call home. I'm jealous. I can't help it. But check out her sweet haul guys! Not to bad for a librarian huh? Thanks for finding me Allison, the pleasure's all mine.

7 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 15, 2009 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

did that sound mean? oh wow, sorry. I meant it as a joke. I'm a web designer so i joke about my gardening skills for a computer person.

January 15, 2009 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Anyone who knows you understands your own self-depreciating humor and realizes you didn't mean it as a slight at all, but a comment on how anyone, in any job title, can do for themselves, regardless of how far it seems from our good earth. It could have read, "Not bad for a roughneck" and would still be understood as a comment on how our work lives can be quite disparate from our private loves. I think most of us got your true meaning.

January 15, 2009 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

No worries, it made me laugh...hence the :).

January 15, 2009 at 12:07 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I just want to say that I am raising my hand, when I am not obsessively poring through seed catalogs.

January 15, 2009 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I'm in no way artistic, so can someone else here kindly design a "hooligans in wellies" logo for t-shirt printing? I think we all need one. :D I'd buy myself a week's worth!

Oh, and I'm an accountant, so yes, I get it too.

January 16, 2009 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger HotRodLibrarian said...

Hey Jenna,
Don't worry, I KNOW it's pretty good for a librarian! I don't know if you know too many Aussies, but we tend to have a great, sarcastic sense of humour... it's got me into trouble many a time!!
Thanks for the plug!!

January 21, 2009 at 4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home