Tuesday, December 2, 2008

let's be honest

The real reason to bake your own bread and raise chickens is to eat French toast. Amazing, fall-down-the-stairs-good French toast.

I am a fan of this breakfast food, more than most. I've eaten it everywhere from Idaho pancake houses to the Empire Diner in Chelsea... and over the years I have become a bit of a conisuer. However, the first time I bit into that thickly-sliced homemade bread battered in real milk and fresh farm eggs...man it was a whole new pantheon of yummy. If I was a Scientologist, I'd be up a few new levels. You know, like the ones where they tell you about volcanos and aliens. (No offense to any of you farming Scientologists out there.)

I have no recipe. I pretty much just pour some milk (about 3/4 a cup), an egg, add some cinnamon and a pinch of vanila flavoring in a bowl and whisk it up till it's a yellow delight. Then I battter the sides of a thick slice of bread and go to town in my trusty skillet. I always fry them in real butter in cast iron, and serve it in a smaller cast iron pan for kicks. I pour real maple syrup and powdered sugar on top. I urge you, fine readers, to do the same.

I can't eat it every morning (or I'd be dead) but when I do indulge in simple pleasures like theses I really dig it. It's a hell of a way to start your weekend, and it's something small to look forwad to. Let's be hoenst, who doesn't need soemthing to look forward to on a Tuesday morning? So this week, get some farm fresh eggs and a small cast iron skillet, bake some of your own bread this Friday night and get pumped - because Saturday morning you get to hear about aliens, son.

P.S. Thank you all for your emails, comments, and kind words about Sarah. It really helped me out, and I'm fine. It was just a sorry weekend, but I'll be back on my feet with a new pup sometime in the future, and you'll hear all about it here. Maybe I'll even run into some of you out at a sheepdog trial next spring. Stranger things have happened.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mama Pea said...

Mmmm-mmm, French Toast is my very favorite breakfast, too! (I've been known to make it for a winter time supper.) Real maple syrup IS hard to beat, but homemade strawberry jam (that didn't set up, aka strawberry syrup!) is somethin' to salivate over also.

December 2, 2008 at 9:02 AM  
Blogger Leiflet said...

I love that you serve it in ANOTHER iron skillet. One is not enough.

December 2, 2008 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Chicken Mama said...

Mmmmmm! It's a blowing and snowy morning here - a perfect morning for it! Matter of fact, maybe I'll DO THAT just as soon as I come in from chores! (My husband will be so pleased!) Oooooh, maybe I'll make it with eggnog instead of milk!

Thanks for the idea!

December 2, 2008 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger Carrie and Justin said...

Too funny that you posted this, as I have been looking at my latest loaf of bread and thinking "man, I need to make some french toast!"
We make it the same way you do too - cinnamon, homemade vanilla extract, raw milk, homemade raw milk butter, freshly collected eggs & a cast-iron skillet!! :) Though I must agree with Leiflet, the fact that you SERVE it in yet ANOTHER cast-iron skillet is just AWESOME!! Love it!!!
You are one kick-ass mama!!!! :)

December 3, 2008 at 12:18 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

There IS nothing better than homemade bread and fresh eggs from Chickens that are wondering around your yard. Why IS that so difficult for some to understand?!?!?!??

December 3, 2008 at 7:36 PM  
Blogger sara amber said...

um, WHY didn't we eat this back in october when sara and i were up there?

oh, right...because we were too busy making an amazing quiche from farm fresh eggs and good vermont cheese & milk.

December 5, 2008 at 11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home