Wednesday, December 17, 2008

imprinting

So outside the cabin right now is a couple inches of new snow. It's still dark out there, but in the porchlight I can see the shadows and all the white. Beautiful, that. The ice from last week has melted away, and now instead of heavy-glass trees and danger sidewalks - we have this beauitful brand-new carpet installed.

Aestetics aside, there is a fun practicality of fresh snow on the farm. It lets me see what the birds are up to all day when I'm at work. When I come home on lunch, or even when I'm walking around in the lantern-lit dark, there are little paths and tracks all over the farm from the goose patrol, ducks, chickens, and other animals. There are tracks from wandering deer, neighbor's dogs, and sometimes the occasional moose. There are little dance steps from the crows, and tiny imprints from the chickadees on the windowsill. The snow prooves that a lot of life is happening while I'm at the office. Which is comforting to me, to know my farm has a heartbeat when I'm not there to witness it.

Of course, a lot of life is happening at the office as well. It's just a different set of animals leaving a different series of impressions. But it's all the same thing. Coffee mug rings and bad jokes are just as pretty in their own ways, but I like coming home and seeing proof in the snow. I really do.

3 Comments:

Blogger DivaHick said...

What I wouldn't give to see moose tracks in my yard!

You know, because of your blog, we got a new puppy- half border collie, half brittany spaniel.

You might be a bad influence ;) LOL

December 17, 2008 at 2:57 PM  
Anonymous Sean said...

I put up a pair of bird feeders just to see those very signs of life. It's compforting to see that the world does it's thing, even when we're stuck at work.

Influence on!

December 17, 2008 at 5:48 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Diva! congrats on the dog, what's its name?

sean, you reminded me to buy birdseed

December 18, 2008 at 7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home