Thursday, December 18, 2008

come in, it's cold out there

So here's a picture of inside the cabin. The place your friend Jenna spends a large chunk of her time when she's not in the office or outside tending the flock. Thought you guys would be curious to see an indoor photo. This is part of my kitchen looking into the living room. It's not fancy, but I like it. I'm easily pleased by any space that lets me fill it with my weird antiques and musical instruments. I don't know how many people have Maruska prints on their walls and blast Sigur Ros cds while driving with backseats full of chicken feed, but they are certainly my people. This I'm fairly sure about.

Hey guys, things are getting kind of exciting! Tonight I recorded a phone interview for WAMC's Book Show. It's a national show about authors and their works. It airs next week and when it's online I'll post a link to it. It was a lot of fun actually. Tune in to hear about my near-death waterfall jumping experience in Tennessee and sheep in station wagons in Vermont. Also, in a few moments a guy is coming to the farm to film an "acceptance " speech in case Made From Scratch wins the MS Society's "Books for A Better Life" Award in the green category. I can't go to the actual awards in New York, mostly because it's on a worknight and I don't have the vactation time for it. But still, just to be nominated for an award is staggering. Can you believe this? I can't.

I hope this kind of news doesn't come across as arrogant? If it does, I'm sorry. I don't want to be that guy. But honestly, I can't even begin to feel cocky about this life. Afterall, I still need to lug out the chickens' water font that is currently defrosting in the bathroom. I keep my awe in check. It's hard to feel cocky when chicken- scented water is de-icing by your toilet.

Crikey, interviews and speeches... I never thought a book about bees and chickens would get such a rise out of folks. I hope it keeps it up. My fingers are crossed I can keep up with it.

9 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Congrats on the nomination!!! I hope you win! :) Love the pic of the inside of the cabin....looks cozy and inviting and real.

December 18, 2008 at 7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenna,
You're on my favorites list, so it makes sense to me that others would see you that way as well. Fun stuff! Congrats and good luck on the nomination, and if you win, girlfriend, you better go, vacation time be damned. How many chances like that do you get in a lifetime?? Good luck!!

December 18, 2008 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger The Old Man and His Dog said...

I can't think of anyone more deserving! I'm over here clapping loudly. I loved your book,your taste in cabins, dogs and music.

December 18, 2008 at 9:30 PM  
Blogger Mama Pea said...

Hippy-hip-hooray! Didn't I tell ya your book would have such tremendous appeal at this particular period in time? Lotsa cheers and whistling!

Loved seeing the inside of your home. Soooo cozy. Nice now to have a visual image to imagine you in.

December 18, 2008 at 10:42 PM  
Blogger Mama Pea said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 18, 2008 at 10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats and thanks for sharing the wonderful news!

December 18, 2008 at 11:09 PM  
Blogger Sojourner Design said...

Arrogant? No... it's a win for all of us.

December 19, 2008 at 6:44 AM  
Blogger pleintexas said...

We are grinnin' like proud mothers down here! Don't be afraid to toot your own horn, because I think we all know what hard work ALL of this really is. Your book is beautiful on many levels, any awards you receive are well deserved and please keep sharing them.

December 19, 2008 at 1:00 PM  
Blogger Gemini said...

It's not arrogant. It's normal to be excited that other people like something you made (wrote) yourself. It's your brainchild and it's a success!

August 7, 2009 at 10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home