Tuesday, November 4, 2008

paw and boot

Daylight savings is an appreciated change here at the farm. To be able to have an hour more of light before going to work makes morning chores a lot more enjoyable. And having a dog I can take outside with me, and watch her have the freedom to race into chicken coops and lope through the woods off lead, lifts the spirit a little before coffee gets into my system. I love Jazz and Annie, they have transcended the role of pet into full-blown roommates. Jazz is the best dog I will ever know, never to be surpassed. But they can't farm. I can't ask them to lay down and eye sheep while I dump hay into their pen. They wouldn't stand for it. But Sarah lives to oblige me, and herd, and hopefully all will work out with the lone Scott among all these Eastern Europeans in the little house. I'm Czech. My dogs are Russian. Sarah's a world apart from our worlds of gypsies and snowstorms. But she makes the morning fun, and does her part, and I look forward to our time outside together. Doing our work paw and boot side by side.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mare said...

What a great post. It is good to hear that so far Sarah is doing well there. I appreciate the time change too, but my puppy is now getting me up at 4:30 instead of 5:30am...snore....

November 4, 2008 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

My money's on Sarah staying at Cold Antler Farm and good for her and you!

November 4, 2008 at 2:00 PM  
Blogger Tom Open said...

Me too on Sarah staying, easy money :)

November 4, 2008 at 3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad that you are living your dream but I am compelled to tell you that having a reel mover in your sheep pen is vary dangerous for the sheep.

November 5, 2008 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

oh that? It was there to mow down the high grass for the gang, it's not there anymore. That photo is a month old or so?

November 5, 2008 at 11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The question isn't whether you should keep Sara, it is how could you not.

November 5, 2008 at 1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home