Friday, October 31, 2008

the book is here!

Yesterday at work an email popped up in my inbox, and email I'd been waiting for for a very long time. The subject line just said, "It's Here!" and I saw the sender was my editor, Carleen, at Storey Publishing. Oh my goodness, the book was finally here. After over a year of waiting I would finally get a chance to hold in my hands the same little hardcover that will be in bookstores soon. Maryellen, a Storey employee who lives in a nearbye town, would bring it home with her so I could pick it up that very night. Holy crap. I was an author.

When I got home to the farm, I did all the normal chores but with a little extra music in my step. I was so excited. I doubt that night you'd find a giddier person moving straw into a sheep shed anywhere in the state of Vermont. When all the birds, bunnies, and sheep were set I loaded Jazz and Annie in the car and we headed for Shaftsbury. I felt they'd been with me every step of the way, from writing that book proposal in Idaho to finishing the last edits here in Vermont this summer. They should ride along to come pick it up.

On the way I stopped at the Wayside for some coffee, and talked with Nancy, who owns the store and had become a friend since I've moved to Sandgate. We chatted a little and the coffee was fresh, even at 7pm, which obliged me greatly. I took my joe on the road and headed into Maryellen's neighborhood.

I pulled up to a long red barn and a farmhourse that was over 150 years old. It was such a postcard picture. I walked into her home where a woodstove was puttering along, and her son Ben and Fiance Roy shook my hand and said hello. She handed my book over with a hug. I was in a bit of shock. It was a fine little book alright. A green cloth hardcover with a golden embossed honeybee on the front cover. The jacket flap was a nice matte finish, nothing glossy for me, thank you. I felt like I just finished a race. Two thoughts came to mind. The first was "Who the hell am I?" and the second was "Man, I hope people buy this book. I really want to pay off the station wagon."

WIth those thoughts reeling, I thanked Maryellen for her hospitality and good coffee, and drove home. I stopped back at wayside to show Nancy, because I was in that sort of mood, and then took it home. The sheep were still out in their little pasture, heckling me, as I pulled in (a sound Jazz and Annie's once perked ears has grown numb too.) I stuck the book outside the car window, yelling to the flock, "Hey! Look what your good-for-nothing- shepherd did!" which Maude bellowed back at me in the sheep equivelant to "shut up, bring us hay, it's friggin cold." WIth her proper admonishment throwing me back in line - I brought the dogs in, carried the gang some hay from the porch, and then came inside and lit a fire. I stayed up till midnight reading. Not my book, but a memoir about a man's journey through Scotland for the right border collie. When I finally did fall asleep, I did with a proper balance in place in my mind. Congrats on your little book, I thought to myself, but make sure in the morning you get a new bale from the garage and clean out the rabbit hutch in the morning. Literature and litter pans. A good balance.

Okay, that's all the shallow book posts for a while. I just wanted to share that little bit since so many of you have been with the blog long before the book was even a possibility. I have gotten a request about spinning, and another about gardening - posts I hope to write soon. I also want to tell you about a great pumpkin book, and tonight, Hallows, I'll carve my own pumpkins! Which I think I'm just as excited about as I was to get the book!

15 Comments:

Blogger Darx said...

Hooray and congratulations! I can't wait to buy several.

October 31, 2008 at 7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's GREAT, Jenna. Congratulations on the book. You deserve it. Best Regards!

October 31, 2008 at 8:21 AM  
Blogger Keeper of Little Sweetie said...

Too cool.

October 31, 2008 at 8:25 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Congrats. Can't wait to read it!

October 31, 2008 at 8:53 AM  
Blogger Mare said...

I can't wait to buy a copy! I'll be in Troy at the book signing to meet you! Congratulations! :)

October 31, 2008 at 8:55 AM  
Blogger Mama Pea said...

Hooray, hooray, hooray! What a thrill it must be to have tangible proof that you're a published author! Savor the moment and do a happy dance all day long. I'm so eager to get my copy.

Mama Pea

October 31, 2008 at 8:59 AM  
Anonymous Sanna said...

Good show on the book. Remember that buoying ballast when your thoughts wander to evaluating your path and the balance of what you will do vs. what you will receive.

As for the turkey and the entire complex glorious option we westerners face when choosing what we want to eat next from our indulgent bounty; people need time, tolerance and empathy to process change. All of us could choose to anger ourselves, be indignant and hurt as we stand on the periphery of others' acting on their prerogatives; but you always get more flies with honey than vinegar.

And sharing your own perspectives in a helpful, educating way reduces that resistance to change for obstinancy's sake. It no longer becomes a battle of who is right, but of what is right.

It's easy to be tolerant with those you agree with. Tolerance and the exercise of your own spirit come into great practice when faced with those conflicting ideas.

October 31, 2008 at 9:31 AM  
OpenID Jaspenelle said...

Congrats to a job well done! (Loved this "shallow" posy by the way.) Can't wait to get my grimy mitts on a copy!

October 31, 2008 at 9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Am looking forward to getting that Amazon e-mail that says "your order has shipped"

October 31, 2008 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger pleintexas said...

I am so excited! I pre-ordered so it will be great to see your book arrive. Glad to hear about the gold emboss honey bee, a vintage inspired cloth book worthy of your values. I know what everyone is getting for Christmas down here. If I ship you mine will you sign it? Sorry, I live to far away to attend your book readings. Congratulations!

October 31, 2008 at 12:28 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

yeah I'll sign it! Just put in a few bucks for return postage and it's a deal.

October 31, 2008 at 2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jenna both on your book being published and on the journey you have undertaken.

Your energy is contagious. Please keep up the good work.

Tony

October 31, 2008 at 4:40 PM  
Blogger Simply Authentic said...

Congrats! I'll buy it and pass it around over here in the PNW. ;-) Glad you were able to celebrate some...it's always great to have that pumped up feeling...and you deserve it!

October 31, 2008 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

congrats indeed

a night worthy of celebration

(and funnily enough I read the same book a few years back when I was celebrating something important to me!)

November 1, 2008 at 9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm an enthusiastic lurker from British Columbia. Can't wait to order your book! Elsie

November 1, 2008 at 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home