Thursday, October 9, 2008

rams, lambs, and collies

If I can find a willing shepherd, I want to borrow a ram and have him shack up here for a few weeks. The hope is he and Maude will get it on and come April there will be a lambs born for the first time ever at Cold Antler Farm. So far I've only been able to find people with rams for sale, but I'm not looking for any long-term loving here. I'm hoping a local sheep person will want to make an extra fifty bucks. Now, as I am writing you this, I am looking at a little yellow book the UVM Extension teacher gave us after out first sheep class. It says Lambing Guide, and has a Suffolk Lamb on the cover. There is an empty area to write the year of lambing, and the instant I was handing the book I remember almost instinctfully wanting to write "2009" since it seemed realistic to me. I didn't realize that was now a gestation period away... So maybe these future lamb(s) will be fate? We'll see.

If I can't arrange for those "services" I might just wait till spring and buy one of my herding instructors Scottish Blackface lambs. Which is a breed I really like and am leaning towards for my future operations. They are a great duel purpose breed and small enough to manage in larger numbers. So options are out there, just really hoping to try my hand at a small lambing project come spring. If any of you out there know of a third option that a normal person could afford (artificial insemination is out folks, crikey. Let me know.)

Besides sheep pimping, there are other big things happening this weekend and oddly enough it includes three Saras. My friend Sara and her co-worker friend (also named Sara) are driving up from Philadelphia for a weekend on the farm. I told them Saturday morning we'll be getting up crazy early to drive to the Fall Foliage Sheepdog Championships in NY, but they just insisted on coffee (Now those are women I can deal with.) So up they will come, and they even offered to help trim hooves Sunday. At said trial, the border collie Sara, whom I blogged about a few weeks ago, might be there to meet me. She's a started sheepdog up for sale from the same kennel that hosted the Wooly Winds Novice Trials. Now, don't worry skeptics, I am not coming home with a border collie. But getting a chance to see a possibility, be outside in peak fall color at a sheepdog trial with friends, and drink lots of coffee has me so excited for this weekend it's ridiculous. It's good to know at 26 you can still sometimes feel like you're still six the day before your birthday party. Real good.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Did you try to post an add at your feed mill ?

I usually "rent" my buck every year as a lot of people around here have does but don't want to mess with a stinky buck. I usually made enough money to sustain my three buck year long and pursuit with them my selection program at no cost. I usually post an add at the locals feed mill and then it goes from the mouth of word. you might try it.

October 9, 2008 at 8:53 AM  
Blogger Kathleen Stoltzfus said...

So the scottish blackface - I was sort of thinking about them because they are a nice dual purpose breed. But someone told me they can be pretty wild. What are the ones like that you've met?

October 9, 2008 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

All the Scotts I met were pretty calm. But both flocks I met were raised around border collies, so they had the fear of god in them since they were lambs. But they seem smaller than my Romney crosses and you can always grab those horns! if you need to bring one down, YEE HAW!

October 9, 2008 at 9:22 AM  
Blogger Mare said...

Have a wonderful weekend! I wish i could be with you at the festival. Instead i will be dressed in gowns and panty hose for two weddings(one of which is my daughter's wedding!)Weddings are nice, but i'd rather be in my jeans and a sweat shirt petting sheep and dogs.

October 9, 2008 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger sara amber said...

i've been so excited for this trip since i first told sara, "i want to go AWAY for our long weekend." and her immediate response was, "how about vermont?" and i think i nearly fell over from the YES, PLEASE excitement of it all.

please let me know if you need (or are craving) anything from down here in pa!

October 9, 2008 at 5:23 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

i am craving a hair dryer (if you need one, bring one mine just died) but seriously, bring me a box of tastykake butterscotch krimpets!! that will cover your room and board! looking forward to meeting you Sara! Sara says you did Buffy so we'll get along fine.

October 9, 2008 at 6:39 PM  
Blogger sara amber said...

i actually just bought season 1, so i have the complete set now. i just started watching the series ALLLLL over again. i love that show so damn much.

see you tomorrow!!

October 9, 2008 at 11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home