Wednesday, October 15, 2008

a girl and her wethers

I am getting attached to my boys, Sal and Marvin. I didn't expect this, to get to know the sheep as individuals. I suppose this would never happen on a larger scale farm with pasture born lambs, but this isn't a large scale farm. Here at Cold Antler I currently only have three sheep. Since I'm not training a border collie on them yet (and they haven't the fear of god in them) they are happy to be around me. I've actually come to know them pretty well.

Sal's the most gregarious. He will trot right up to the gate and let you grab his ears, scratch his head, pat him. I give him daily updates on the state of the economy, the presidential race, this and that. He always seems genuinely interested (However I'm pretty sure it's because I'm holding second cut hay in my arms when I tell him all this.) Marvin is just as friendly, but much less interested in socializing with me as he is with his flock. He is always always baaing at Sal and Maude. He walks between them and brushes up against them. He's ridiculously trusting of me. When I bend down to tie a boot or open a latch to let them out to pasture he always is right there, his head inches from my face. I scratch his ears. He's a good boy.

Maude's still a jerk.

photo by sara stell

6 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Are those Dorsets? We have a female Dorset out in our field and I just love her. She follows me everywhere, and as you said, listens to everything I have to say. But I am the bringer of apples and that may be why she listens so intently.

October 15, 2008 at 7:02 PM  
Anonymous Xavier said...

Wethers are always so fun (no hormons) especially if they have been bottle feed. Have you find a mate for Maude ?

October 15, 2008 at 7:09 PM  
Blogger Mare said...

I love your stories, and your sheep....

October 16, 2008 at 7:31 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

xavier, no luck with maude's man yet. And the boys were raised from lambs as pets, not sure if they were bottle fed but they sure act like it!

October 16, 2008 at 8:17 PM  
Blogger aerogramme said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 17, 2008 at 1:19 PM  
Anonymous Xavier said...

Are you looking to a dorset ram only or are you open for crossbred lamb ? I am surprised that you haven't even see an ad at your local feed mill. There is a couple of them here for ram and buck stud service.

October 17, 2008 at 1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home