Friday, October 24, 2008

the coup outside the coop

My little chicks I brought home Memorial Day weekend have spent a long summer growing into big fat hens. Now that it's nearly November, they are due to start paying their room and board. Which is why I was so confused that out of the four new gals (three turned out to be roosters. Great) I hadn't found a single new egg. Chickens start laying eggs around six months old but even though the birds were of age I hadn't found a single new egg. Not in the bird yard, not on the porch, not in any of the older gals' favorite spots. No new eggs at all. Anywhere. That was until tonight. I found a whole nest of eggs in a very odd place. The farm animals at Cold Antler are conspiring against the farmer. A bi-species coup was going down. Oh boy.

The new hens are laying alright, but their cluster of eggs isn't in the coop. The gals have been sneaking into the sheep shed and making a nest in the far back corner. I was in the shed tonight laying down fresh straw bedding for Sal, Maude and Marvin while they were out in their pasture munching on some fresh hay, when I saw something in the corner of my eyes and did a double take. There on the old straw, in a perfect little nest, was a pile of tiny pullet eggs. I was amazed that three 140-pound animals hadn't smooshed them, but they were there. Like a pile of dirty golf ball rejects. Which explains why I've seen the new gals spending so much time under foot of the flock. I just thought they just enjoyed each other's company. Turns out they were shacking up. I think I just shook my head and laughed.

You know, nothing really happens here. But I am constantly amazed how entertaining nothing always turns out to be.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chicken Mama said...

"You know, nothing really happens here. But I am constantly amazed how entertaining nothing always turns out to be."

Oh, my gosh. I have it SPOT on! I'm going to quote you in the Quotable Quotes section of my blog! People always ask me, "So, what's new?" Well, nothing . . . in particular. But everything, I guess, in general!

Also, speaking of the different species fraternizing: I caught one of my young roosters "having his way with" one my female ducks yesterday! What will that result in? Chicklings? ;)

October 25, 2008 at 10:51 AM  
Blogger Chicken Mama said...

Oops! I mean . . . YOU have it spot on!

October 25, 2008 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger Danielle Barlow said...

So glad I found your blog! Sheep, chickens and fiddles on the other side of the ocean - good to see how it works for other people!

October 25, 2008 at 2:54 PM  
Blogger Mare said...

It is the little things that make it all worth while here too.... Have a great weekend!

October 25, 2008 at 6:07 PM  
Blogger EJ said...

If you are unsure how old the eggs are and don't want to eat them yourself I'm sure your dogs would enjoy them. Waste not, want not!

October 26, 2008 at 12:44 PM  
Anonymous Sanna said...

i'm not an expert, but growing up on my family's sheep farm - where there was a rooster; there were fertilized eggs laying in the hens' nests. Which means, not happy yellow yolks, but developing embryos in the frying pan.
sorry for the grossness. Life (and breakfast) was less traumatic after the roosters moved away. except when we mistook the refrigerated powdered lamb milk replacer for cow's milk over our cereal.

October 27, 2008 at 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home