Friday, October 17, 2008

banjo camp!

A new book just came out for all you future (and present) banjo players! Banjo Camp is part instruction, part history, and part backstage pass to the modern world of this old time instrument. It comes with a CD, which is full of examples and recordings. So not only do you get a written introduction to the world of banjos, you get to hear the lessons (very very important for beginners learning without a teacher.) I'm really excited about this book. I flipped through it at our local bookstore and wanted to take it home (but I think the cover price was already allocated to fresh straw bedding.) Anyway, it looks like a light and rustic introduction to the bluegrass banjo and if you're considering getting that twang in your hands I'd invest in this and then head over to banjohut.com and take home one of those Morgan Monroe Hobos I've been drooling over. (Notice that banjo comes with a Native Ground book, because they are awesome)

All this kinda breaks my heart since I'm currently banjoless. I sold my old one because it was the wrong type for the music I play (it was a big heavy resonator banjo, not an open back for old time clawhammer flailing) And now I just wish I could pick one up and play it. Alas, I can't afford a $280 splurge. But I'll start saving up for one. I'll need it come winter when the music really fills up the cabin and practice gets serious! What else is there to do when you're snowed in and you read all your books?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

was it very difficult to teach yourself to play?

October 23, 2008 at 1:07 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

heck no! But I use Wayne Erbsens books (nativeground.com) and his style teaches people who can't even read music. Get his clawhammer book and a banjo and you'll be playing in a few hours.

October 23, 2008 at 8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks Jenna. I ordered the book and one of his CD's. Funny you should recommend the banjo. I remember hearing my father play a couple of times when I was very young. My siblings said that he also played the guitar and piano. Unfortunately all the musical talent went to one of my sisters. Am hoping some of it is in my genes as I attempt to learn to play.

Want to let you know that your blog has been very inspirational. Thanks to you I put up some local produce this year and have taken up my crochet hook again. Who knows, maybe this will be the winter I learn to knit. - joyce

October 23, 2008 at 10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, I've also pre-ordered your book on Amazon - is scheduled to ship in Dec. Am looking forward to reading it. Keep on following your dream - have no doubt that you'll make it your reality.

October 23, 2008 at 10:28 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Joyce, you'll be picking and grinning in no time. congrats!

October 23, 2008 at 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home