Sunday, September 28, 2008

the pumpkin litter has arrived!

So big news. Friday when I got home from work and was checking on the animals, I noticed Bean Blossom, my Angora doe, was looking like someone shaved her wool. I know that sounds crazy paranoid, like I think people are roaming rural New England and shaving people's fiber rabbits, but she was less definitely less hairy. But it was her own doing. She pulled out over half of her wool to make a nest. So... (drumroll noises please) It looks like we have four new members of Cold Anter Farm! A new litter of French Angora bunnies are here and just in time for the holidays. I am a little worried, four is half of what her last litter was. But everyone seems to be doing fine. I think I'll keep a female from this litter to add to my little herd here.

The new bunnies came just in time. I just sold the last two males from my first litter (which I called the Lettuce Litter, since that's what was in the garden when they were born.) This new litter is adding fresh life to the farm for Fall. A time when generally all the animals are either well into their spring-born lives or getting ready for processing (gulp, turkey.) Anyway, I'm calling the new kids the Pumpkin Litter, and if anyone in the area is looking for a gorgeous new farm animal - I don't mean to brag but my rabbits are beautiful and gentle guys. So consider a wool bunny for your homestead. Okay, that's all for now. Hope your weekends are going well. When I write again I'll talk about my Jon Katz weekend (saw him read twice, only once on purpose) and his new book as well as updates on mine.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Adorable! Do the bunnies have a functional purpose, other than being fluffy and cute? Because that is definitely a functional purpose. ;)

September 28, 2008 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

yup! Angora rabbits is where angora comes from (not angora goats, they grow mohair, weird i know) But these guys grow wool that is spun into wool! the softest wool around town.

September 28, 2008 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Stoltzfus said...

Off topic for this post, but I wanted to ask you - do you still have bees? I am considering them and so went to a local beekeepers meeting, but mostly they talked about how interesting the bees are to watch, etc. To me, opening up that hive is one of the least appealing aspects of beekeeping. I would want them for the honey and beeswax. Interacting with them would be a necessary evil, not something I anticipate enjoying very much. What has your experience been?
Thanks!

September 28, 2008 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger Morgen said...

Hi,
I was wondering how much your Angora rabbits cost. if you could give me an E-mail at coudygirl94@yahoo.com thanks a ton!

September 28, 2008 at 2:37 PM  
Anonymous Julie said...

A hearty congratulations to Bean Blossom on her new fluffies. Four healthy and happy little ones might be half the litter of last time but it's still more than you or I hope to produce at one time. Lol!

September 28, 2008 at 7:44 PM  
Blogger Self-Sufficient Sara said...

I was wondering aswell how much your angoras cost. How would you ship them? send me an email. at the_bonsai_koi@yahoo.com

September 30, 2008 at 8:56 PM  
OpenID lazytoadfarm said...

Maybe I can convince my husband that we need a couple of little bunnies. Or I suppose I could just get a couple haha. When we do decide to get one I will definately get one from your farm.

September 30, 2008 at 9:20 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

the bunnies are priced individually based on what you are buying them for. Breeding rabbits for your own rabbitry would cost 100. But pets cost anywere from 35-75 dollars depending on color and conformation.

I don't ship them, sorry! At least not my first year. But I will hold them for a deposit.

October 1, 2008 at 6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home