Friday, September 12, 2008

sheepdog trial weekend!

I have a busy weekend coming up. Early tomorrow morning I'll be hitting the road for Esperance, NY. It's a small town about an hour and a half south of me. I'm going to the Wooly Winds Novice Sheepdog Trial to watch beginner shepherds put their dogs through their paces. I've only ever watched open trials before - which are for really experienced dogs. This trial will be more my speed - green dogs and greener handlers tripping over sheep and running around frantic to catch up with themselves. Pretty much what I'll be getting into when a border collie find it's way into my life. For now, I'll be watching from the sidelines, talking with other NEBCA members, and finding out what I'll be doing as a volunteer at the big fall trials in Cooperstown New York. I offered to help with the backstage work at Fall Foliage 2008 - a big fall trial/ I offered to help scribe or hold sheep while the pros worked their dogs. After the adventures of the morning are past, we'll take the scenic route back home and hopefully pass a cider mill where I can get some fresh press. I love apple cider, and come fall it might even trump coffee (okay, that's a bold faced lie.)

I have a busy weekend coming up. Early tomorrow morning I'll be hitting the road for Esperance, NY. It's a small town about an hour and a half south of me. I'm going to the Wooly Winds Novice Sheepdog Trial to watch beginner shepherds put their dogs through their paces. I've only ever watched open trials before - which are for really experienced dogs. This trial will be more my speed - green dogs and greener handlers tripping over sheep and running around frantic to catch up with themselves. Pretty much what I'll be getting into when a border collie find it's way into my life. For now, I'll be watching from the sidelines, talking with other NEBCA members, and finding out what I'll be doing as a volunteer at the big fall trials in Cooperstown New York. I offered to help with the backstage work at Fall Foliage 2008 - a big fall trial/ I offered to help scribe or hold sheep while the pros worked their dogs. After the adventures of the morning are past, we'll take the scenic route back home and hopefully pass a cider mill where I can get some fresh press. I love apple cider, and come fall it might even trump coffee (okay, that's a bold faced lie.)

P.S. I sold the book in the farm fundraiser, but if any of you are in any position to make an offer on any of the signs or the mask, or the painting. Please do! Just email me (now in the right sidebar is a link to my email. I also do custom pet watercolors for about 75.00 a painting) Help Cold Antler get ready for winter 2008!

1 Comments:

Blogger joy said...

Hi- Read your book and loved it so much. I live in a metro area of Michigan, am 51 and dream of farm land. I am visiting right now in Idaho and the ranch land here is amazing.
I learned so much from your book (my sister read it too) and am trying to live more simply because of it....I love antique flea markets for housewares (made in the USA too) and just the challenge of trying to live with less. I just discovered your blog tonight.
Keep at it...I will follow often.
Joy Lynn Centerline MI

June 6, 2009 at 1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home