Friday, September 26, 2008

a rainy weekend

It's going to pour all weekend. Usually, that's a good thing. I am a big fan of rainy Saturday mornings. I get to get up and face the wet and cold and then after all the animals are fed and I'm back inside and all is right in the world, I don't have to rush to work. I can relax. I can cook a breakfast of champions, light a fire in the living room, and curl up with the dogs to read or watch a movie. It's the best.

But this weekend, rainy Saturday mornings aren't a good thing because my parents are driving up from Pennsylvania to visit for an official Vermont Fall Weekend. We had all these plans to go to a hayride and bonfire at Adam's Farm, see the countryside foliage, walk downtown Manchester, you know the works. My mom was even excited to meet the sheep and get pulled around the woods at night by a tractor (if you knew my mom, that's a big deal.) But it's going to pour like the dickens. And I'm scrambling to figure out what to do with them besides feed them in restaurants.

This morning, before the rain came, I let the sheep out into their pasture to chomp on the sweet green stuff a little. They have my routine and body language down now. They know what walking certain ways means, or what "home for grains!" means. They answer when I yell out from the porch "Hey Sheps! You Still livin!" and I hear back a chorus of "BAAAAss BAAA baaa BBAAA!" Which kills me every time and I crack up. We're easily amused around here. You guys have a good weekend, stay dry.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Oh dear, what a drag! Maybe you'll catch an unexpected break.

September 26, 2008 at 9:30 AM  
Anonymous AnnaMarie said...

You could always pop up here to the NEK, we're having only intermittent showers and so far it looks to be only sprinkles. Alpaca Farm Days are this weekend too with farms in Derby, Irasburg and a few others open for the weekend.

Foliage is really nice right now and I believe there are still farmer's markets going on just about everywhere.

It's a pretty good trek from your corner but maybe you could just make a long day of it.

September 26, 2008 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Susan Marie said...

I had to chuckle about your conversation with the sheep- too cute! As a native Pennsylvanian myself, I am sure your parents are well acquainted with rain and you can have a fun time in spite of it. Besides, PA isn't THAT far from VT, they can always come up for that quintessential fall-in-Vermont experience on another weekend, right?

September 26, 2008 at 2:44 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Rainy weekends stink! I use the time to catch up on computer stuff and chores inside the house. Your it! I tagged you with 7 Things Meme....don't feel like you have to do it. Check out my site for the rules!

September 27, 2008 at 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Julie said...

ROFL! We do this to the Four Footed Roommates when they're somewhere out in the yard.

We stopped by an Alpaca Farm today as a part of the local Alpaca Farm Days. They speak to my heart and I thought of you.

September 27, 2008 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

tara, anna, and susie - thanks, and you're right. we'll get some sun, it won't suck all that much, right? right. and anna, sorry we didn't get up that north but farming is NOT their thing. They aren't too pumped about my chosen career path...

hey meg, sorry i didn't check out the tag thing. I'm still all wrapped up in this family weekend bit. But I will check it out.

thanks for thinking of me julie. I actually have a special place in my heart for alpacas. Out in Sandpoint ID, where I used to hail from, there was a HUGE alpaca farm right near where I worked.

September 28, 2008 at 6:30 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'm sorry about the rain.

I must be easily amused too because the sheep conversation made me smile. :)

September 28, 2008 at 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Julie said...

Jenna, Of course I thought of you. You've taken the steps I hope to make in order to have this dream come true. =)

September 28, 2008 at 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home