Wednesday, September 17, 2008

boston and a turkey on death row

Friday morning I go to Boston for the New England Independent Booksellers annual brew-ha-ha. I'll be sitting an an author reception, which I think is a glorified way of saying "you'll be sitting at a folding table at a small convention that you aren't allowed to leave." Which is fine by me! These things let me meet booksellers from all over the region who might want to carry or promote the book. It's a fine oppurtunity, this. And I'm excited to have a small vacation in the middle of a big town. My good friend Erin lives in Boston, and I'll be meeting her to show me around her city. On the way home I hope to swing by Salem to visit the witch trial museum. If you're in the Boston area, sell books, or just like them - I bet you could swing by and say hello. I'll be the girl in the hat.

Back at the farm things are trotting along right into fall. The last bits of the garden - corn and pumpkins, seem to be bulging and turning colors. So are the Sugar Maples all around the cabin. The sheep are learning their new routine, and mastering new ways of breaking out of their fences.(Which isn't really a big deal because they never leave the property anyway.) The poultry are all fat and happy, and the spring chickens will start laying their first eggs in the next couple of weeks. I also recently found a qualified poultry butcher to help with TD, and we'll be making his appointment to "go to Miami," as the locals call it, sometime in late November. I'm really proud to be presenting my family with my own farm-raised free-range turkey this Thanksgiving. It's a big personal milestone for me to contribute like that. But let me tell you something, the Huffington Post readers weren't so thrilled when I shared my bird's story. If you want to check that out, click here.

11 Comments:

OpenID lazytoadfarm said...

Have fun on Friday and congratulations on your first homegrown turkey to share with your family.

September 17, 2008 at 9:19 AM  
OpenID lazytoadfarm said...

I just read your article- it was very well said. Thank you for writing it! I will post a link on our blog.

September 17, 2008 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

hey thanks!

September 17, 2008 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Stephen_TX said...

It's completely appalling that some people can be so closed minded. You did a very good job of stating your reasons for the decision in the article and yet there are still people who think that just because your not trying to sway others to their way of thinking it's somehow evil.
What you do is a GOOD thing and I commend you for it.

September 17, 2008 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Being a hunter, fisherman, elementary homesteader, and future farmer I take my hat off to you Jenna. It is wonderful to raise your own food. Someone always has to have a complaint. Ask them why PETA is having legal problems for the illegal dumping of many dogs and cats that they "put down." Hmmmmmm.

September 17, 2008 at 12:38 PM  
Blogger E said...

I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years. Now I raise sheep, ducks and sometimes pigs. My partner and dog get the meat. I help feed and care for them all. My partner slaughters and butchers at home. They all go to "animal heaven" quickly and live happy lives. They eat weeds and provide manure as well as food.

Much better than any other "modern" livestock operation, including razing rain forests to grow soy beans.

September 17, 2008 at 2:25 PM  
Anonymous gooddogboy said...

I loved the article and e-mailed it to my fervent veggie and carnivore friends. I look forward to your blog every day, and am bummed when you skip a day.

September 17, 2008 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger The Old Man and His Dog said...

How come it's Ok for my dog to kill a possum and NOT eat it(see my blog today), but you can't have a turkey killed for consumption? Not fair I declare!

September 17, 2008 at 4:16 PM  
OpenID moesewco said...

I think you're doing the right thing with the turkey. I'm sorry that detractors don't get it.

I come from a family of hunters, and have lived close to the land in Ojibwe country (I even have a little of it in me). I try to be as close to my food as I can. In Chicago, that's not very close, but I'm an imperfect person who just does her best. I eat, just as I will be someday eaten. Eating what I do makes me feel as if I am close to that birth and death cycle that is a part of all of our lives.

Anyway, good on ya'. Well done. Bravely done.

And who knows, your freaked out sister might just go veg about it.

September 19, 2008 at 9:33 AM  
Anonymous Lisa-Michigan said...

I applaud you! I read your articles and all comments and find your explanations are reasonable. I would love to raise our own turkey for the holiday. My stepdad used to raise his own turkeys and have them processed for his family and friends each year. What a gift! He was a lifetime farmer and he was proud that he could give a good life for his animals.
I'm a (gasp) frontyard, not backyard gardener and I'm proud that I know what I'm feeding my family. None of us can control what happens outside of our own lives and home but at least I can control what goes in their tummies.

September 19, 2008 at 2:35 PM  
Anonymous RC said...

I was vastly occupied the last ten days and missed your blog posts. I am one of those former vegetarians who still doesn't like beef or pork and so I don't eat them. I do eat birds, fish, goats and {horrors} sheep. Whenever I can get the backyard versions {the fish come from the ocean right nearby} I choose that for health and flavor, no matter the cost. I prefer my vegetables grown in the back yard too.
I don't know how long you have been associated with the HP, but they have comments that seem to be insufferable most of the time. In fact, the general bent of the publication has drifted toward National Enquirer territory. Your work is an exception.
If I were you I would studiously avoid the HuffPo comments. In the aggregate they have been known to cause writer's block.
You can't afford that.
I am wondering how it is that the first frost has not struck you yet.
Must be global warming.

September 20, 2008 at 11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home