Friday, August 1, 2008

out of the ground

The garden is nearly ready to be cleaned out. After months of work, all the early-season salad greens, peas, peppers, onions and herbs are nearly done. Either they've been eaten down or are ready for the jar or freezer. As I remove them from the rows, I'll replace them with lettuce seeds and some winter squashes. While the new plants are getting started, the watermelons and pumpkins will be maturing on their vines. The sunflowers and sweetcorn will be reaching to the sky. I'm so happy to report that this year my jack-o-lanterns will be from my own garden! A little personal goal finally achieved.

Last night I pulled the first potatoes out of the ground, which was actually a pretty big deal. They were grown from seed potatoes I grew myself in Idaho. Which means that the food I pulled out of the ground last night has seen more of the country in it's collective genealogy than most Americans ever have the chance to see in their lifetimes... It also makes them the first completely homebrewed veggies on the farm! Between them and the bunnies, a new level of self-sufficiency is rising up at Cold Antler. These aren't commodities I bought to grow and feed, but created right here. Tomorrow's hash browns with sided to my own hen's eggs - what a breakfast. Top that off with ridiculously strong coffee and a walk with the dogs, and you've got the happiest girl in Vermont.

4 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

What you are doing is what my husband and i are doing down her in hattiesburg mississippi...i soooo relate to mid class home. I grew up in new orleans...we are setting up a blog right now. i will send it to you...you can look at if you like..my husband grows oyster mushrooms to sell but he also is rasising quail and our first vegtable gardner. he is interesting in solar water heater and barrellponics(growning of vegtables and fish)

August 1, 2008 at 6:46 PM  
Blogger Blanche and Guy said...

fabulous! brings tears to my eyes the last line! we're on the same mission but only at a friends farm.. they're way ahead of us but we enjoy the process and being part of a self-sufficient environment. greetings from a happy, coffee drinking, dog walking, fresh egg eating girl in upstate NY to a happy vermont girl!

August 7, 2008 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger k8 said...

A good thought about your taters' collective geneology. You're right about it, we americans (and especially PA-ians) are very much homebodies.

Congratulations on your home-made, home-made potatoes :)

July 7, 2010 at 10:44 AM  
Anonymous jen said...

Sounds like absolute bliss! Sorry for a comment on an old post but I just finished 2 of your books and am now playing "catch up."

July 28, 2012 at 1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home