Wednesday, June 25, 2008

newborns and hailstorms

Last night during a rainstorm, Bean Blossom the Angora rabbit kindled a litter of baby bunnies. (Kindle, if you're not familiar with the term, is the rabbit business's word for giving birth to a litter of bunnies and has nothing to do with electronic reading aparati.) This morning, when I went to check on her hutch, there were 8 (possibly more, hard to count right now) little pink bunnies breathing under a pile of soft angora wool. Poor ol' Bean looked half her size. Between the fur she pulled to make a nest for the newborns, and the weight loss from the birth, she was a shadow of the giant fluffy rabbit I knew the day before. But her eyes were bright and as of this morning all of her newborns were alive and well (keeping fingers crossed). In about ten days they'll open their eyes and be covered in a coat of soft fur. In three weeks they'll be hopping around the hutch and ready to be registered, tattooed and sexed. When they are about 8 weeks old they'll be sold to spinning and 4-H homes. I'm really proud of her. This is her first litter ever and she did everything by the book and right on time. I can't wait till they're old enough to show pictures of...

Also, yesterday Ol' Bitch Nature* was one angry broad. A hail storm came and ripped apart the garden. I came home to lettuce and pumpkin leaves shredded. But I think everyone will make a full recovery. The picture above was taken by my neighbor during the hailstorm. All my hens (and Rufus Wainwright) took refuge on the porch to watch the weather turn.

*My little holler to Logsdon there

2 Comments:

Blogger sara mack said...

Great photo of the birds! They look like they have such character. The hail pictures you sent me are crazy! Hail is so strange and interesting but, at the same time such a downer...sorry to hear about the garden. I am very excited about the bunnies though- congratulations!

June 25, 2008 at 10:29 AM  
OpenID moesewco said...

(from the north of Minnesota) I just heard tell of a full-fledged, off the grid farm for sale up here in Hovland Minnesota. Been established for years and years, and farmed by a sort of commune. Hovland land sells really cheap, and cheaper now. I thought of you immediately.

I'll find out more info and let you know....

June 30, 2008 at 1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home