Friday, June 13, 2008

gosling life

So I'm new to geese. I have two. A breed called Toulouse, and they're just a few weeks old. I'm already a huge fan. I named them Cyrus and Saro. I'm assuming their a male/female pair because Cyrus is much larger, and acts a little more aggressive and protective. Possibly, this is just me being a goose sexist and they're both ladies or both dudes. Regardless, I'm sticking with their names. I'll risk it.

They are so different than the chicks. If the chicks were little velociraptors running around the hen house, these goslings are like lumbering brachiasauri - big and gray and longnecked. They move slower, and stretch out their necks to chirp and honk so I can tell they mean it. Surprisingly, they've already bonded to me like a puppy would. If they are loose in the yard and I walk away Cyrus flaps his little wings and runs after me. he'll waddle and faux-fly at me till I reach down and scoop him in my arms and sit on the grass with him. He'll then curl up like a swan and rest his big head on my arm, occasionally nibbling at my shirt sleeve with his tiny-toothed bill. He's charming.

The geese aren't alone. They share their little pen with a lone Magpie duckling named Henry. The trio of birds are the only waterfowl on the homestead, and hopefully I'll be able to use them for both weeding and lawn control (they devour grass) - and for their eggs. Duck eggs are raved over by bakers, and one goose egg can do the job of up to three chicken eggs. We'll see. Honestly, their here because I like taking care of them, and I enjoy the variety from all the other yard birds milling about. Some people say geese are a nasty lot, but it seems like I'm only hearing that from people who never owned any poultry of any sort and are basing that information off being chased around farms and parks by packs of angry feral farm geese never fed by hand or raised around people. But people who have raised pet geese say wonderful things, and since the average lifespan is about 40 years, I hope that Cyrus and Saro will join me at my future farm someday, and watch my life unfold. They'll see our lives evolve from scrappy chickens in a modified shed to a flock of sheep on a hill. Or so, I hope.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Old Man & His Dog said...

I have probably a stupid but serious question.....What happens in the winter? Do they fly south or stay with you?

June 13, 2008 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I think by winter, they'll be too fat to fly anywhere! nah, farm geese hang around their farms.

June 13, 2008 at 10:04 AM  
Anonymous Christa said...

Hi Jenna- I just wanted to say that I happened upon your blog one day and I have been enjoying it ever since. I think we have similar dreams... farm on a hill with chickens and sheep. Thanks for the entertainment!

June 13, 2008 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

right on christa, where are you from?

June 13, 2008 at 12:00 PM  
Anonymous Christa said...

I live in NH! The fiddle- it is my absolute favorite instrument and I play a mean air fiddle hahaha! My parents, husband and I have our own imaginary bluegrass band where we pretend to jam to Alison Krauss... it is a hoot! You can check out my blog if you would like... lazytoadfarm.wordpress.com

June 13, 2008 at 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home