Thursday, June 5, 2008

big day!

Big day on the farm. Today, was the first of many nights eating off. Which is what I call eating food at home you grew off your own land. (It sounds dirty, but don't go there. ) It's not eating out, and it's more exciting than the dull frozen-pizza-eating in. So... eating off is the phrase i made up. And tonight I ate off my first garden-grown meal of the season; a giant three-lettuce salad. The picture above shows some iceberg, Buttercrunch and Romaine Nisaa helped me plant a few weeks ago, and they were all ripe for the plucking. The best part? Even with a full colander - I barely put a dent in the crop. It was delicous, crisp, crunchy and I could actually taste each leaf. When you're used to your work cafeteria salad's uniform taste, eating off felt fancy.

I also got some rhubarb off the stalk, which I didn't plant but happily harvest since it's there in the yard. I baked it up into a giant strawberry rhubarb pie for tomorrow's potluck at work. I also whipped up a blueberry pie but feel a serious lack of confidence in them both. When it comes to apple pie, I feel I deserve my praise, but these guys... they won't be worth a fork of that apple. Oh well. The only way to get better at a pie is to keep baking it and cleaning ovens. So maybe by the end of summer, I'll have some decent strawberry rhubarb to share. Till then, I'll collect a bunch of stalks to freeze.

Also, and not to be discounted, for the first time in Cold Antler-Vermont History (drumroll please....), all eight of my hens laid an egg on the same day! I came home from work to eight perfect little eggs in the nest, each slightly unique to their neighbor. And Dove's blue token right in the middle. Usually I get half a dozen a day, sometimes seven and sometimes four. Usually I keep 6-eight eggs for myself each week and then sell the rest to co-wrokers, neighbors and a local cafe in Bennington. Today all of my girls were kicking it. Rufus Wainwright and I both glowed with pride, but for very different reasons.

3 Comments:

OpenID moesewco said...

Strawberry rhubarb will always be a disappointment. It's just not as good of a combo as people make it out to be. You evidently have access to blueberries and rhubarb at the same time (aren't blueberries a fall thing?). Bluebarb makes an amazing pie.

My go-to, though, is rhubarb custard. I'd be happy to share recipes for all of these.

I am a major passionate pie baker. I even render my own lard.

June 6, 2008 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Your Dove's laying blue, too! How cool is that! Hope your Dove lives and goes on laying as long as mine. Have you noticed that her "conversation" sounds different from the other birds?

June 6, 2008 at 6:50 PM  
Blogger Katharyn said...

I know this is an old post, but I thought I would mention that the Joy of Cooking has a great section on pies, including a strawberry rhubarb recipe. The pie section intro talks about elevation effecting your pastry and pie mix, as well as the ripeness of your rhubarb viruses your quantity of sugar. Using the Joy of Cooking as my base, I personally have made strawberry rhubarb pies that I feel did justis to all of that hype.

March 13, 2011 at 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home