Thursday, May 8, 2008

pies and neighbors

I made a few apple pies for some co-workers and neighbors this past weekend. They are my usual recipe, but I hand-rolled little birds nests on top of them, and on each pie placed a dark chocolate blackbird (compliments of the Chocolate Barn and their creepy 17th century molds). They came out adorable. And here's a picture.

A few days after their delivery, I was pulling onto my dirt road after work, and my neighbor Nancy ran out to the car, arms waving. She yelled at my car, 'That was the best apple pie I ever ate!" - a thank you holler from her yard. Earlier that week I dropped off her pie and a six pack of brown eggs as a thank you gesture. My birds are often on their property, using their nice yard as pasture. It only seemed correct they got some of their eggs every once in a while as rent.

The pie was also for the load of wood they delivered to my house so I could enjoy my fireplace. These are the kinds of things neighbors have done for me here. I've gotten firewood, handmade raised beds, wild leaks and moose meat (though, this was awkward to accept as a vegetarian, but I tried to do it graciously...) Point is, out here in the woods people go out of their way to help each other. For the first time in my adult life, I know everyone's names and jobs that I live by. Hell, I know their dogs names. I know Juno, the crazy-fast black border collie mix will be peeing on my porch every morning at 6 Am. I know Cody, the gamboling old lab, will rumbled out to say hello to jazz and Annie when we're on walks. To know you neighbors, of all species is a sense of community I am thriving on.

I like seeing Katie out in her yard, and walking down the hill to talk about the hawks in the area, or wild fiddleheads for soups. I like that most people with horses use them instead of cars, and it's common to pass them on the dirt roads. I like my community, and sometimes something as simple as a pie with too much butter and powdered sugar (my secret) is all it takes to sew the seams a little tighter. SO if you have the chance, do something small for a neighbor. Chances are, you'll get it back. And it's always amazing when you do.

2 Comments:

OpenID moesewco said...

Moose meat is so good you might consider a vegetarian holiday.

We used to get it every once in a while since the in-laws were on the road kill list. Somebody would hit something, the DNR would pick it up, and you could pay the fine to get the meat.

I'm all about bringing pies to neighbors. I've been struggling to find a workable vegetarian alternative to lard for my crust. What do you use?

May 8, 2008 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger Sean Sullivan said...

The pies look amazing. I'd say you could give me a real run for my money in the kitchen.

May 8, 2008 at 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home