Friday, March 14, 2008

new hive on the way

If you've been reading this blog for a while, you know I had bees in Idaho. You also know those same bees were sent packing in a swarm when a jerk bear destroyed their hive. I took the hit, and now I'm starting over this May. New bees are on the way May 10th. I have to pick them up from the apiary in Granville NY (an hour south of me) on that Saturday and install them in the hive that same day. I should be getting my laying hens around the same time, so it could be a full out farm installation weekend. If anyone of my friends or family want to visit that weekend and help out, that would be aces. If you get stung (you won’t) I’ll even throw in a free lunch.

In other news, my love of dairy goats has gotten me an invite to visit a vermont goat dairy operation north of me called willow moon farm. I won't be getting any kids anytime soon, but I can see how they are housed, ask questions, learn more about the Nigerian Dwarf and pet a few yellow-eyed horned heads. Besides informal goat training, there will be formal sheep training soon. Sheep 101 is March 29th, and will be a full day at a local farm in Danby. Sheep are becoming more and more of an interest and dream every year. A few days ago a Southdown Sheep farm near me asked if I wanted a pair of lambs of purebred babydoll sheep (miniature sheep). I had to turn them down, but man... I flinched. Anyway, I'll have plenty of pictures and posts ahead from both.

2 Comments:

Blogger Akinogal said...

This comment has been removed because it linked to malicious content. Learn more.

March 15, 2008 at 3:24 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I've been reading your old posts and I came across this one. Willow Moon Farm is where my husband and I recently purchased our two Nigerian Dwarf doe and doeling. Going to breed them next month hopefully for kids next spring! Sharon is such a nice lady. :)

October 20, 2009 at 11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home