Monday, March 3, 2008

and it starts...


This weekend the farm has officially been started, seedlings are incubating indoors for cold season crops, and ones I know I can grow. Peas, broccoli and lettuce are sitting inside under a warm light and in a few days we’ll have the beginnings of a summer of fresh organic food. The cabin has an already huge garden complete with compost, a tin shed (soon to be chicken coop) and a burning barrel for paper and brush. Whoever was here before was pretty serious about living off the land too and I just happened to fall into it. By late April, when the soil is over 45 degrees and not soaking wet I’ll be working in compost and planting the first seeds outdoors. I’m excited.

Besides the garden, chicks and goslings are on their way! I’m getting laying hens (Brahmas and Ameracanas) and some bantams (Mille Fluers!) and a trio of Toulouse goslings, which I will be hand feeding from babes and either sell at fair time or keep if they are good. It sounds like a lot but it’ll be about the same amount of animals as I had in Idaho, with neighbors right next door who already offered to feed and chicken sit for me when I’m away. So, it’s a start. There will be plenty of chick and gosling photos ahead, I’m sure!

2 Comments:

Blogger moesewco said...

You can never take too many pictures of baby ducks and chickens.

Yea fuzzy ducky tummies!

Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you!

Emily (husband to the fiddler who embroiders)

March 4, 2008 at 1:03 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

i'm pumped for goslings

March 4, 2008 at 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home