Friday, January 4, 2008

it's here...

It’s that time of year! I got my Murray McMurray Hatchery catalog in the mail this week and almost every night I’ve been paging through it. Ladies and gentlemen, this is dangerous indeed. To give a poultry lover a book with pictures of goslings and ducklings and tell her they are only a few dollars each…Come February baby chicks arrive from all over the nation into farmhouses across America from hatcheries like this. I don’t plan on making any big orders, but I might get a trio of a heritage breed and sell them at the county fair like I did with the silkies. I have ordered from these guys in the past, it’s where Mindy, one of my Red Star Hens comes from and she came in the mail in a little carrying case healthy, gorgeous, and laid an egg a day all summer long! If you’d like to consider a small backyard flock McMurray has everything you need from chicks to coops to laying nests. If you just want to browse, get this catalog and look at the crazy array of chickens available to the public, check out the site below.

www.mcmurrayhatchery.com

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love when you do this,I just viewed the catalog you mentioned.
This transported me back in time, I wasn't sitting here with bed hair and a cold cup of coffee doing my daily morning routine on my window to the world-computer.
Oh no, It is hot summer, I am nine and running down the length of our SD farm yard, back where the henhouse stood. Each evening alittle after sunset, it was my job to close the screened henhouse door. Danger always lerked nearby as small red fox, muskrats or other meat eating nocterinal animals would love a nice plump chicken for their midnight snack.
As I would close the door I could hear their soft cooing sounds and I would look in and see rows and rows of black chickens with their heads stuck under their wings roosting for the evening.
I'm sure I didn't think it was so great back then to have miss a part of Rawhide or Lassie on TV to run outside in the dark and close the henhouse door. But I do love the memories of those times gone by.
We always raised black Austrolorps with their wonderful brown eggs and my grandparents had white leghorns so we would trade for white eggs also.
We always had a pair of guineas. Each spring they would hatch their little ones. There is nothing cuter than seeing the mother with seven little ones running right behind her.
Guineas have free range and they are excellent in keeping bugs and ticks away. They were almost like watch dogs, if any loud sound or strange animal is nearby they make this great call that sounds like "buckwheat-buckwheat"
Have a great time picking out your new additions to your little farm-ette.
It was great to see you and so glad to hear you got home safe and sound.

January 5, 2008 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger Dalyn (AKA The Queen of Quite Alot) said...

I got mine awhile back, and decided to order some of the birds you have pictured ther! Aren't they darling little useless things?!

I would like to tag you if you will play *U* visit my blog for the rules.

January 25, 2008 at 11:50 PM  
OpenID willowtreecreek said...

I am tagging you! If you want to play along check out my blog!

January 26, 2008 at 10:15 AM  
Anonymous talljudyc said...

Hi Jenna!
I LOVE it, I am just as Chicken crazy! I haven't gotten my McMurray catalog yet. Moon Rooster is doing fabulous. He is my favorite rooster.
I have 2 geese that decided to go broody in JAN! I have no gander. One of them is trying to hatch a rock, I felt sorry for them, so I put some fertile chicken eggs under them. It will be interesting!
I would love to email you, your link isn't working.
judesgratitude-writer@yahoo.com is mine. My website is
www.judesgratitude.com
Happy winter Judy
PS I have a golden polish. I think God put part of their brains in the top hat, because polish chickens are not too bright!

January 31, 2008 at 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home