Monday, December 31, 2007

eat pie it's 2008!

Just in from my week long Christmas vacation in Palmerton, Pennsylvania. While I’d like to think that people wanted to see me while I was home, the real star of the week was my apple pie. I made four of them while staying at my folks house. All of them were eaten plate clean. One that I baked at 2 Am for the boys was finished in six minutes by Johnny, Marcus and Ajay. That’s a personal record. Here’s my recipe. You can cheat and buy the Pillsbury crusts in your grocers refrigerated section. I find they are the easiest for slicing into lattice for braiding the top. (that's a homemade crust though in the picture, and it's not candied like you should, just a heads up)

Idaho Apple Pie

To make the filling, son!

3 braeburn apples, pealed and diced
1 stick of sweet cream salted butter (melted)
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 tablespoons flour
1-2 cups of powdered sugar

mix these all together. Place in piecrust. Cover with another crust or braided section if you’re feeling fancy. If you do use a solid pie crust, make sure to cut five slits from the center to the edges so that baby can breathe. Before shoving in the oven, melt some more butter in a mug. Add some cinnamon and granulated sugar and make a paste. Brush the candy butter topping over the crust. This is crucial to the pies awesomeness. Bake at 360 for 40 minutes or until crust looks browned and crispy. Enjoy enjoy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Sanders said...

Yes, I'm working my way through and reading every last post from beginning to end! Anyway - saw this recipe and immediately had to copy it down for my recipe box. It sounds incredibly amazing!!! Love the idea for the candied crust! Thanks so much! Now I have a CAF recipe to add to my collection - I feel special. ;o)
Thanks, Jenna - you're the best.

July 31, 2009 at 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home