Thursday, October 18, 2007

whiskey before breakfast

The group I started jamming with on Tuesday nights really likes to mix it up and play a lot of fast-paced Scotch/Irish tunes along with their bluegrass. I am spending some time every night trying to nail down one called ‘Whiskey Before Breakfast” and so far I’m treading water. It's a fickle bitch of a tune, that one. But I’m glad I’m being forced to expand my fiddling outside of old-time music. It's hard learning a whole new way of doing things on the fret board. Regardless, it’s a good challenge and I can’t wait till the jam moves to the upstairs of my favorite pub, Eichardt’s and I can drink a Guinness and play reels like I was born in a ditch outside Dublin. Speaking of, anyone want to go to Ireland in the spring? I’m thinking on it, but I have to see what I can afford. Heather, if you come out and visit this winter make sure you’re here for a Tuesday night.

The farm is getting ready for winter. I still have an active garden of winter crops. A half dozen heads of butter crunch lettuce and some hearty broccoli and onions is all that’s fit to grow this late in the season. They’re covered in plastic sheeting to ward off the frost, but I think the next coming weekends is all the longer they’ll last unless I move them indoors with the herbs. I might use Raven’s idea of converting Rubbermaid totes into greenhouses and put them in the kitchen window for the winter. Gardening becomes an obsession pretty quickly, just a heads up.

6 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

Might chat with Bruce... he's thinking we'll do Northern Europe & the UK in the spring instead of all of Europe. Perhaps we can go together or meet up in Ireland.

October 18, 2007 at 2:07 PM  
Blogger HEATHER said...

count me in, i just bought a book of 1050 reels and jigs!! wooo!

i really want to travel to ireland in a few years. i say years because i want it to be a time where i can take off work and head over there for 3 months or so with nothing but marley, my fiddle and a backpack.

October 18, 2007 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger HEATHER said...

PS:
now that i'm through the worst of the sqeaking and swaking stage, marley lays at my feet when i play. he has some true highland blood flowin through those veins.

October 18, 2007 at 2:27 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

di! I'll totally crash your place and we'll bum around together! i'll get a passport this week, even. sign me up.

heather, last night annie tried to eat my bow. I think russians hate fiddling.

October 18, 2007 at 2:35 PM  
Blogger HEATHER said...

try some depressing russian song about the gulag. maybe then she'll appreciate the fiddle?

October 18, 2007 at 2:51 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

you just don't get many quality gulag references nowadays

October 18, 2007 at 2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home