Friday, September 7, 2007

garden is still truckin' on

Friends and readers, let me tell you something that I am unequivocally certain of. No human family needs more than three zucchini plants. They. Just. Keep. Coming. I started getting zucchini the size of my forearm in late July, and now after frosts and rain and dead leaves the vegetables keep growing. I have made zucchini bread. Zucchini cookies. I have stir fried and grilled it. I have added it to soup and chopped it into salads. I have done nearly every goddamn thing a girl can do with zucchini (don’t be dirty) and it still keeps coming. When I show up at parties or to watch a move at a friends’, I bring zucchini. I’d be beside myself if I had this much luck with broccoli, but a person can only take so much zucchini. I’d stab my left hand for an eggplant.

Christ, just wait till all those tomatoes come in… The tomatoes pictured above are just the first of over 300 ripening others outside the front door on my 4 giant plants. Bruce and Diana are going to see me show up with two giant shopping bags and we're canning marinara all day soon. In case you were concerned.

And those little gourds. How about them, huh? Are they strictly decorative or can i make pumpkin recipe stuff from these, Heather? I ask you because of your intense history with compost pile gourds.

4 Comments:

Blogger HEATHER said...

hmm. i would say strictly decorative. but, i get uneasy about using mine for anything else because my gourds are a hybrid beginning from seeds like 10 years ago and they mutate into something new every year. i checked on gardenweb a bit, and it seems like they are mostly inedible except for a very few varieties, so if you know what you've got you can check.

about the zucchini: i live on that stuff. i love them, i've made probably everything you can make out of them. did you ever try zucchini fajitas? if you're interested i'll email you the recipe, its at home now.

September 7, 2007 at 5:01 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

no thank you. i have had my fill, maybe next year.

September 7, 2007 at 5:27 PM  
Blogger dycarlin said...

Ya got me laughin out loud with your zucchini madness. How about cutting 'em open and letting the birds have at 'em (they'll at LEAST go after the seeds, preventing accidental zucchini infestation). What about rabbits? Don't rabbits like zucchini?

September 10, 2007 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger ShellyinSierraCounty said...

When I have an over load of zucchini, which every year I do. I grate them and put them in baggies, straight away into the freezer for breads and such during the snowy season. I know it is boring in the late summer, but the snow falls and the smell of cinnamon with zucchini bread sure does light up people's faces!! I have 4 teenagers at home and trust me, not much goes to waste here! I make banana bread every Sunday, two loaves, by Tuesday it is all gone! Also, with making homemade breads, I make 2 loaves everyother day. My family sure does like that stuff!! Thanks again for your humor! Shelly

May 31, 2009 at 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home