Thursday, August 30, 2007

Saven

Some day, when I have a dozen Suffolks in the pasture I'll have a border collie. And that border collie will be a working dog that shares my home with the no-good rebellious sled dogs. I have already decided his name - Saven. Which is the 6,000 year old Scottish word for Halloween. He'll have yellow eyes, an all black coat, and putz around the farm with me. I can't have a third dog now. I can't have a third dog so much that I turned down a malamute/wolf hybrid puppy a few weeks ago because I know what I can handle. Yes, Jenna Woginrich turned down the chance to have a pet wolf. But I know what I can deal with - and a third big dog can't fit in a subaru, and I can't walk three dogs and stay in control. Jazz and Annie are everything two housedogs can be, and recently came back from their annual check up with rave reviews (minus Annie needed to drop 6 pounds and Jazz needing some dental work). But as far as overall health, they're gangbusters. More dogs means everything gets a little thinner, less attention and personal care. Adding a third dog to the family would make things too hard on me and the Siberians. Who wouldn't understand why Saven got to run outside off leash? And Saven wouldn't understand why Siberians are allowed to jump into a packed car with the sled tied to the top and be outside all day in the winter while he stayed in...

Oh, dogs. If you only knew the half of it this week.

But yes, Saven will be the border collie I hope to share my life with when my life is at a constance. Border collies seem to need more routine and solid ground then Jazz and Annie do. Or maybe I just have decided that a herding dog deserves a herd and I can't offer it to him yet. (I realize that boder collies as pets do not need sheep to be happy, I just want mine to have sheep) But I can offer trails and snow to the dogs in my life now. Maybe I can marry a hobby shepherd and wreck all his plans with dogsledding races and trips to Ireland. If you know this guy, tell him I make great pie.

7 Comments:

Blogger Biby Cletus said...

hi there, i stumbled across your blog while randomly searching the blogosphere, nice one you have here, i also find the design to my liking. do keep up the good work.

warm regards from the other side of planet earth. i'll be back for more.

Deep Regards

Biby Cletus

August 30, 2007 at 12:42 PM  
Blogger The Old Man & His Dog said...

I couldn't agree more. I'm hooked...hafta check everyday so please don't think I'm a stalker, I just really enjoy your writing and am jealous of your lifestyle. Hoping to get to "That Place" myself. Oh, and BTW, I would have been to weak to resist and would have taken the 1/2 wolf dog :)

August 30, 2007 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger HEATHER said...

border collies don't need routine as much as they need to be watched. CONSTANTLY. the minute you turn your back, thats when they decide to push shit over to the 8 foot fence so they can climb over it.

true story.

August 30, 2007 at 1:15 PM  
Blogger The Old Man & His Dog said...

Under my interests I clicked on "Malamutes" and up you popped. I have been reading your blogs ever since.

Your from NJ....Small world.

I've been attempting to relocate since taking a road trip with my daughter to Thompson Falls MT a couple of years ago. We got to stay in a nice little log cabin that belonged to her friends grandmother. Listened to the wolves, saw eagles, moose and bison, moved a bull, rode horses, and slept like a baby. Even crossed over to ID and did some hiking with my daughter and her friend. Was an experience We'll never forget. Was very depressing to come back to the nasty people and environment in NJ. Bad for the soul.

Anyway thank you for sharing your life. Wish you were writing a book. I'd buy it. Best wishes!!

August 30, 2007 at 1:17 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

well I'm from PA, about 20 mile north of allentown, I've moved around since then and now I'm in Idaho.

thanks for reading!

Everyone i talk to with borders has a different story. You, Kevin, the people who raise herding dogs here (who say they are outdoor dogs only no excuses and have to eat raw meat). So I take it all with a grain. I think everyone makes their dogs what they need them to be.

August 30, 2007 at 1:21 PM  
Blogger danahollis said...

I just finished your book... it was wonderful! Now I'm going to read my way through you blog!

I just wanted to mention that we had a Border Collie. She just passed away this past Dec. 30 and we are still heartbroken. She was almost 11. Her name was Bandit and she was our girl... the most wonderfully sweet dog EVER! She was smart and faithful and lived for our affection.

As a puppy, she was a handful... but I wouldn't have traded one single chewed shoe or wool coat sleeve or chair rung for her!

I miss her every single day!

I'm sure you'll love having one!!

May 6, 2009 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Gypsisoul said...

I just recently had to find a home for my German Shepherd as I had two smaller dogs. I am confirming you were right. 3 was too much to handle, and treating one big dog differently than the other two little ones was not fair to anyone.
But one day, I will have another German Shepherd, after I have thoroughly enjoyed my current manimals. I love your blog too.
My name is Cyndie and I have Barnheart.

January 25, 2010 at 8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home