Wednesday, August 8, 2007

the farm

Welcome to the blog for Cold Antler Farm. Cold Antler isn’t a place - It’s an idea. Named for my love of cervine symbols in ancient cultures and the poems of Han San, Cold Antler seemed like the perfect name for home. Right now Cold Antler is a retired cattle farm in Sandpoint Idaho. Here I raise chickens (heavy laying hens and some black silkie bantams), angora rabbits and a hive of honeybees. I also tend a few hearty gardens. I live with my two working housedogs, Siberian huskies named Jazz and Annie. They are working pack and sled dogs, and like everyone here at the farm, they do their part. My goal is greater sustainability and self-sufficiency in a world where those two things seem to have gone out of fashion. Being a renter, this takes a little more ingenuity and adaptability than the permanence of a regular farmer.

This will be a place that hosts all farm-related posts from my personal blog and specific updates on my upcoming book. Idaho rural living, and local farm events (Like the upcoming county fair later this month!). Readers of Dogcoffin, will see a lot of double posts between the two blogs as this one becomes my main online contact and the coffin goes into a protected or offline mode. So thank you for taking time to check up on the barn at the end of the world and check in often.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Hey Jenna, do you spin your angora or Husky fur? And, a stupid question about your butter--you said heavy cream--is that the same as whipping cream? Would half & half work?

Kathy T
MJF farmgirl ktknits

August 10, 2007 at 12:06 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

hey, i'd use just whipping cream. no half and half.

i tried drop spinning my angora (never tried husky hair) and failed miserably. i need to send it to a pro.

August 13, 2007 at 7:36 PM  
Blogger The Old Man & His Dog said...

How do you pay for this farm? You still work or what? I'd loive to do this, that's why I ask.

August 16, 2007 at 4:39 PM  
Anonymous DIANE said...

HEY JENNA, WHERE IS SANDGATE, VT.? I WAS BORN IN BARRE, VT. AND AT PRESENT, I LIVE IN THE NORTHEAST HILLS OF TN. (ABOUT 2 HRS. FROM KNOXVILLE).
DIANE

January 28, 2009 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger 1953jax said...

Hi Jenna,

I just came across your blog after having a look at your book on Amazon and would love to read your Dogcoffin postings if they tell how you got started homesteading. thanks a lot!

April 30, 2009 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Katharyn said...

Recommended me to by Michele from the Sugar Bowel House I read a few of your posts, and decided I had to start at the beginning. I'm quite inspired, now I just have to get my husband on board.... yeah... we'll see about that.

August 12, 2010 at 1:24 AM  
Blogger Amoya said...

I also currently rent my city bungalow that is the Home to urban Patchwork community farm. I always like to begin at the beinning of a writers blogs and read a little bit at a time. You are very inspirational. It a little different living on an urban farm of course. Only chickens and dogs,but still lots of veggies. Plus I have the company of my neighbors which I would be worried about getting lonely. I still dream a little of living on a farm out in the middle of nowhere:0
http://www.singleparentingvoluntarysimplicty.com/

December 12, 2010 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger Sherrill said...

So today I stumbled upon your blog. I am absolutely amazed at all that you have accomplished.

Like anything great that I find, I want to start at the beginning, to read from start to current.

Great job, Jenna!

April 24, 2011 at 11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home