Make a Vest from Old Work Pants!
1. Get out those pants. These are a size 14 women's canvas pant. I have lost some weight and they no longer fit. But I loved them, so much. The inner thighs were worn through, stained from blood and mud, so they live on as a hunting vest!. Pro tip 1: If you can get a hold of bigger pants than what you wear, this will be a lot easier. So ask your friends with more posterior for their old work pants.
2. Cut as pictured here: Don't be fussy, just kinda cut it like this. Great job!
4. Get out a needle and thread or sewing machine. I used needle and thread since machine died.
5. Sew both pieces together to make the back of the vest. I let the thick seams of the pants and inseam become the front and bottom hems. If the pants are big enough, at this point all you need to do is lay a vest that already fits you on top and use scissors to create the proper armholes and neck hole cuts. You can install a zipper, or buttons, or grommet it and use paracord to lace it up. If the pants fit you (or recently did, like in this case and you happen to have breasts) you're going to need more front coverage. Enter SWEATER!
7. Pouch in back was sewn using the butt of the pants, and even came with an extra rear pocket! Not pictured because of reasons.
8. And there you go. No pattern (I hate patterns), no fuss, just go with your creative instincts and if confused or unsure, but it on and adjust from there. You probably have a lot of these potential vests sitting around!